Guruphiliac: Deepockets Chips In For Clinton



Monday, June 25, 2007

Deepockets Chips In For Clinton

File under: Backroom Gurudom and The Siddhi of PR

Led by New Ageā„¢ guru Deepockets Chopra, Indian Americans donated close to $2 million dollars to Senator Hilary Clinton's election fund at a fundraising event in New York City this weekend, an event attended by some of the leading lights of the Indian-American community.

Chopra even took a chop at Clinton's main adversary, Barack Obama:
Last night, author and spiritual guru Deepak Chopra told The New York Sun that Mr. Obama "should know better." [This regarding a memo circulated by Obama's campaign staff regarding Clinton's close ties to the Indian-American community.]

"I thought that was ridiculous," Mr. Chopra said of the memo. "We are American citizens, right? He's a minority. He should know better."

Mr. Chopra said that while Mr. Obama was a "wonderful candidate," Mrs. Clinton has a "much bigger chance of winning."bigger chance of winning."
With various movie deals and retreat facilities springing up everywhere, Chopra is a leading contender for the title King of the Cha-CHING! Riding in the back pocket of the possible future leader of the free world is just icing on the cake for this master of self-promotion.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, take notice! You've got a long way to go before you can even begin to consider yourself in the same league as Deepockets and Big Mamma.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/26/2007 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jody, I am not to familliar with Deepak, but as far as I know he does not encourage any of that Guru, selfagrandizing bull as the rest of the guys. Or am I wrong?

I mean in my world there is nothing wrong in earning money in spiritual business, especially if you are clear about that is what you do. If you dont pretend to be a ngo or humanitarian, but jus is a teacher, and writer I cant really see anything wrong in that or?

One of the big insights for me has been that we all, including Gurus, is of this world and there for have the same worldly needs. And there for it is ok to make your living, even if you do well as Deepak, thats at least how I come to see it. That is as long as you do not lie or pretend about it....

What you say?

 
At 6/26/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger guruphiliac said...

What you say?

I say that generally, Deepak doesn't seem like such a bad guru. He's not claiming to be God and he generally seems to steer clear of the superstitious nonsense.

However, he is a big-time guru known for taking Vedic wisdom and turning it into a pabulum-like composite which he then sells back to us for millions. Everyone has a right to make a living, but those who are making much more than their share by simple self-promotion as gurus are deserving of some coverage in this blog. Deepak is a public figure of some note, and folks like him should expect to be criticized by the likes of assholes such as myself.

That all said, I think I'd get along with Deepak and could convince him of the veracity of my general critique of Vedic-based spirituality if I got the chance. But that's nothing I ever expect to happen being the mote on the microbe on the eye of the pipsqueak that I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home